I’m busy working through a bunch of documentaries when cooking. I found that the Archaeology section of Documentary Heaven is more focused on computational archaeology than I would have imagined. Here is the list that I have found so far:
- Documentary on the Vikings – discusses how satellite imaging is used to find Viking sites in locations never thought to have been reached by the Vikings.
- Documentary on Tutankhamun: discusses the use of CT scans and DNA analysis to uncover more information about the Tutankhamun.
- Documentary on the Antikythera: discusses the purpose of what is being called “the world’s first computer”, which I have posted about before.
- Documentary on the Stonehenge: discusses how archaeologists use ground penetrating radar to create a map of Stonehenge to try to understand more about the monument.
- Documentary on the Royal Captain: discusses the British ship of the Royal Captain. Manned submersibles can be seen in this documentary, which were used to explore the wreck.
- Documentary on La Marquise de Tournay: the video is not working at this point in time, but it may be fixed eventually (I’ve reported it). From the description we can see that this discusses Odyssey Marine Exploration’s use of a ROV to survey the site of the La Marquise de Tournay shipwreck.
- Documentary on Byzantine shipwrecks of the Black Sea: discusses the use of marine robot used to survey the previously discovered Byzantine wrecks of the Black Sea.
- Documentary on the Titanic: discusses the various technologies used to discover as well as survey the Titanic shipwreck throughout the years.Manned submersibles and marine robots feature in the film.
- Documentary on Ötzi the Ice man: discusses the murdered ice man Ötzi. X-rays and 3D simulations feature in the film.
- Documentary on satellite imaging for archaeology: discusses the use of satellite imaging for archaeological discovery. Yes, and whole documentary only focusing on computational archaeology, rather than computational archaeology just being an aspect of it.
- Documentary on the search for Atlantis: discusses the search for Atlantis, including the use of radar technology and satellite imaging to analyse possible sites.
- Documentary on the verification of Vedic knowledge: discusses approaches to verify information found in Veridic literature. Satellite imaging and linguistic analysis are mentioned.
I think that’s enough to keep you (and me) busy for a while. Happy learning 🙂